Wednesday 24 October 2007

Cool

Just to the left of this text is a picture, and just underneath is the word cool. What do I mean when I say cool? Even harder to answer, am I referring to the car being cool, or am I referring to the picture of the car.

In this case, I think I'm referring to the picture and not the actual car. For those who don't know, the car in question, the BUGATTI VEYRON is the most powerful, most expensive and until very recently the fastest production road car on sale today. It is one of the most advanced pieces of engeneering in human history. So much so it has been compared to Concorde. A big statement but if you read the provided links and I strongly recomend you do you'll see why.

However, is the car cool? To many people cool denotes a lack of intention and effort; if you're trying to be cool then you're not cool. It is similar with efforts in other areas. For example, if I make a mini music video and it's catchy, original and interresting people may say "That's cool". If I try too hard though, i.e. I try my damnest to make it original, over the top and fill it chock-a-block full of visual effects some may say it's uncool. "You're trying too hard man. Trying is not cool" they may say. Or something similar.

You see when the VEYRON was developed, VOLKSWAGEN (parent company of BUGATTI) knew they wanted it to be the fastest, most powerful car in the world. As a result they poured millions of pounds into the project. So much so that they made a HUGE financial loss. This is uncool? The car's fast yeah, but they're trying too hard. They're being silly, surely?

That seems fair enough. They defeated the opposition but only by trying very, very hard. However, what if I told you that the boss of VOLKSWAGEN at the time was laughed at and told the VEYRON was impossible... by his own engineers. He wanted such high standards of engineering and attention to detail that his own people had to invest an almost unbelievable amount of money and effort. Now is what he did cool? He told his own workers to achieve the impossible when he didn't seem to either care or appreciate this. That seems cool doesn't it?

To me it kind of is, but to you it might not be. To me for instance this car isn't cool. You may be surprised but it isn't. It is a hugely advanced showcase of technology, but that isn't cool. Please read the links on it and consider what aspects of the car are cool.

Is me posting about it cool? Probably not. I don't think it is. You may do. If so, thanks.

No comments: